Sunday, November 29, 2009

Only read chapter 18 this week

In this chapter Michelle talks about traveling with her to Shih tzus, as well as taking them for walks in those times that they have forgotten their manners. The first she states has to do with trust. Her female dog trusts her and that she will do what is right, which is return, therefore she behaves very well when Michelle is speaking and waits quietly in a room off-stage. Her male dog on the other hand does not have this trust and therefore whimpers and cries at the door. Michelle then turns this around and equates it to her trust in God and in so doing takes us along for some inspection of our relationships with God. In sound bites she get to the part about walking her two dogs and how after the not walking like they have been trained to do she has to re-establish the boundaries through the use of pinch collars. I really liked one of her statements about boundaries. It is one that I stress with my clients repeatedly. "We can't expect people ot respect our boundaries if we've never established or enforced them. We can't be offended when they break rules they never knew existed. At the end of the day people (and dogs) feel better when they know the limitations." She next, of course, then talks about the fact that God is very clear on the boundaries that he has set for us so that we can enjoy a good relationship with us. She finishes up with the piece that pinches my toes. "And yet so often I follow my own voice, the voice of my peers, my desires, my flesh. I find myself staring at the wreckage caused by my foolish actions. And class begins again. My stubbornness must be crucified all over again. I'm miserable untl I discover the safety of surrender to my Lord, Jesus." Amen sister I am silently shouting as I read that part again.

No comments:

Post a Comment