Sunday, January 17, 2010

Study Questions from Chapter 1: Becoming A Woman of Influence

1a. Based on Psalm 1 what are the benefits of delighting in the law of the Lord. He prospers and God watches over him.
1b. What happens to the wicked. They will not stqand in the judgment or in the assembly of the righteous. The way of the wicked will perish.
2. Memorize Psalm 1:1-3 and use it as a prayer.
3. My definition of spirituality is as difficult to describe as J. Oswald Sanders says it is. It is an essense of a person that reflects God's working in their life and that essense is visible to others even if they can not explain what the source is.
4a. Using the Bible concordance look up three verses each for the words "forgiveness" and "love" and then choose one verse for each and write it out.
FORGIVENESS: This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Matthew 26:28.
LOVE: But I tell you; Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Matthew 5:44.
4b. Based on these two verses the virtue that I need to put to work in my life as I response to someone I am close to is Love.
5a. I think the thing that fired in Meghan hope and ultimately pointed her to Christ was that he had faith that God had a purpose for her and would provide for her. He also showed her that she had already been a source of hope for someone.
5b. I know there have been others, but today all I can think of was some of my professors in College who encouraged me to keep pursuing my career goals. In some ways their encouragement was intentional but in the spiritual challenge were unintentional.
6a. Jesus gave people a better life on earth while he was alive by healing them, forgiving them, acknowledging them, offering them hope.
6b. How he has impacted my life is a little difficult to put into words. He has given me eternal life but more importantly to me was the forgiveness and the sense that he really did make beauty out of ashes.
7a. Eight ways Jesus said his followers would be blessed:
  1. Inherit the kingdom of heaven
  2. Will be comforted
  3. Inherit earth
  4. They will be filled (not hungry)
  5. Shown mercy
  6. Will see God
  7. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them
  8. Will have great reward in heaven

7b. I have been comforted, shown mercy, and I have been filled by the Holy Spirit. This has happened in to many ways to really list here.

8. I do long for an accountability partner, also a mentor, I long for younger women that I could encourage, support, and challenge to her best. I do pray about these things regularly.

9. I will delight myself in the LORD and he will give me these things that I long for. I commit my way to the LORD and trust in him that he will do this. (Paraphrase of Psalm 37:4-5 to make them personal).

No comments:

Post a Comment