Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 3: Meditate on God's Word

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
Proverbs 31:10-11

How can a young [woman] keep [her] way pure?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you. . . .
I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
Psalm 119:9-11, 15-16

Father God, let me meditate on your word and hide it in my heart so that I will not be led into temptation. In this country where the standards in dress, media, etc. are not your values and therefore should not be mine help me to follow your precepts and not the worlds. Help me to not follow the latest teachings that are contrary to your word but seek to learn and understand your precepts. Holy Spirit guide me to teachers who are grounded in God's word and not just what is the latest feel good message. Train me to do as Jesus did and use your word to turn away the snares of the deceiver. Lord Jesus you are my Teacher, so teach me to meditate as you did. I renew my commitment to delight in your word and not neglect it. Amen.

In order to become a virtuous woman of noble character and to stand firm against the deceiver's lies and temptations then I need to be have the word of God on my lips just as Jesus did when tempted in the wilderness. One way I can do this is memorize Scripture. I need to be more committed to doing this and one way to start is to memorize the weekly memorization Scripture that accompanyes this study. I also need to then take this routine and continue it beyond the 90-days. I can also meditate on the meaning of the Scriptures and what they mean to me. I can also do further study beyond just rote memorization. I can ask the Holy Spirit to teach me the meaning and application of each word, and let his instruction begin to transform who I am and how I live.
Study tools that I currently use to memorize Scripture:
Spiral-bound index cards that I carry with me.
Spiral-bound index cards which I keep at home and at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment