Monday, October 26, 2009

Ch. 3: The Phenomenon of Focus

In this chapter Michelle writes about her growing interest in dogs. She shares that during Thanksgiving when several congregated in her mother's kitchen they would watch the annunal kennel club dog show. It was watching these shows that she began to gain an interest in shih tzus and started researching them. One of the comments that I thought was really funny was when she said "If peopole checked out their potential mates the way we do our homework on dogs, jobs, real estate--you name it-- perhaps we would make better choics and enjoy more lasting relationships." When I think about it I can say that I have spent more time researching cars, computers, appliances, than I did checking out my first husband. In his case I did not research. To be truthful I didn't do much better with my second husband, it is just that he turned out to be much, much better suited to me and my personality. He is also a kinder, more considerate person with a more pleasing personality and better moral fiber.
Next she shares about that the clues for meaning that you are looking for are not necessarily in the things that scream loudly, interrupting your thoughts. She equate these loud things to television commercials. We keep coming back, according to Michelle, to that which "has been misplacd among your efforts at survival." To me that means we keep coming back to what we think is our purpose, direction, focus in life. However, she gives us a caveat that it isn't always what we expected it to be. Again I can certainly agree with that statement. Whenever I reflect back on my life course I certain did not expect to arrive at this place. It was at this point where she becomes certain that she is going to get a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment