Sunday, December 13, 2009

This week's lesson from Michelle

This week Michelle's message in chapter 19 is on prejudice. In the chapter she talks about several incidents in which a whole group of people are painted in a bad light because of a few. This few then give the whole group a bad name. I know I have been guilty of the same in the past. I wished I could say it was only a few minor incidents but that is not true. It is something that I have really had to work on in the past. I have to be on guard continually so that old bad habits do not become reignited. Because of my profession I need to not have any prejudices because it colors my ability as a therapist. If I am aware of what my prejudices are then I can ask for help from colleagues in monitoring to insure that my prejudices don't effect the treatment I provide. I could actually do more harm than good if I allow my prejudices cloud my therapeutic judgments.

No comments:

Post a Comment