Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 73: Practice Hospitality

Scripture to Memorize:
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but the woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Proverbs 31:30
Passage to Read:
Be joyful in hope, patient in afflection, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Romans 12:12-14
Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father;
Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to help me live the what that you wish me to live. I know that by myself I could never come close to becoming the woman you want me to be. Without your help and mercy I could never hope to come even close to who you wish me to become. It is only with your power at work in my life that I can hope to be joyful, patient in afflection, and faithful in prayer. Change my heart Dear Lord so that I desire to share with your people in need. Teach me when and how to practice hospitality. Grant me the strength to bless those who persecute me and to resist the temptation to curse them. Help me to remember that hospitality does not mean sitting around gossiping or complaining about what others have done to me. Nor is it a time to talk about what I don't like about church. Hospitality is a time to reach out to others with love and caring. Lord, make my home a place of hospitality. Teach me for your kingdom's sake to show hospitality. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.
Personal:
In today's lesson Donna first shares with us several scriptures in which hospitality is demonstrated and commended, along with the injunction t practice hospitality. These are Romans 16:23, 1 Timothy 5:9-10, 1 Peter 4:9, 3 John 8. I liked her comment that "hospitality is not a low-priority option for Martha Stewart wannabes. Obviously it's something on which God places a high value and every Christian should practice in her own way."
Next she shared about a woman that she calls "a contemporary Proverbs 31 woman" Deb Lovett. Donna next shares Deb's comments about how to create a home environment that ministers to the spirit, soul, and body of her guests.
"Everything good that we have belongs to God and is to be used for his glory. He is the owner of all good things, and we are the property managers. So many times we are looking for some 'ministry' out there--on the stage, in front of lots of people, when our ministry is right under our noses. You have heard that church is a hospital for sinner. Well, hospitality turns your home and property into ministry for people in the name of Jesus when you open your heart and hands to him.
Hospitality doesn't have to mean the perfect dinner, but a beautiful presentation combined with the presence of the Lord through an attitude of love. Now after many years of planning parties, Bible studies, women's conferences, and memorable family imes, I can happily rejoice in the fact that my home is a haven of rest to all, no matter what is going on. The Lord has blessed my obedience inb this area to serve and has expanded my horizons. We are now building a larger lodge on-site to accommodate more people for hospitality!"
Then she goes on to share what she (Deb) calls "props" that are essential to hospitality:
"Gifts: Always have on hand a boutique of gifts available for an assortment of ages and sexes to give at a moment's notice, things like unusual soaps, stationery, baby bibs, books, CDs, grooming kits. Have a standard wedding gift handy for those times you just can't find time to shop." Deb says she stores these items in unused dresser drawers (something I never have, but stealing a page out of Donna's book you could have a special storage bin).
"Paper: Always have white wrapping paper on hand. White paper can wrap any occasion and can be decorated with stamps, different colored ribbons and bows. Gift bags are great as well. . . .I suggest spending the extra couple of bucks it takes to put some squeezably soft toilet tissue out for guests, and have on hand the rectagular hand napkings rather than a cloth towel that can spread germs."
Other props are: candles, flowers (find out where your local flower warehouse is and buy your flowers wholesale). Food--if you have time to cook that's great but you can also have your meal catered for about the same amount, plus if you have places that have monthly menu and order a few dinners for the freezer that can be pulled out at a moment;s notice. And last but defineately not least prayer. "You can go to all the trouble you want, but without the Holy Spirit's presence and anointing, it is just another party.
Donna says "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who turns her home into a hopsital for the weary by showing hospitality is to be praised." Donna also told of some other "dear friends" who put on a pot of soup every Sunday morning before they go to church. Then during the service they pray "Who should we invite home with us today?" Then after church they gather around the soup, with some salad, and talk about what they learned from the day's sermon, what God is teaching them. Donna then asks us "Why not consider how you can use your home as a way of reaching out?"
I often wished that Bo was more accepting of people coming over and that we had a larger home where we could have people over. Also that we lived closer to my friends and/or family.
Affirmation: I practice hospitality.
Practical:
Since I can not use my home to show hospitality, what other methods/means can I use to show hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment