Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 85: Commit Yourself to Healthy Aging

Scripture to Memorize:
Review the entire passage of Proverbs 31:10-31
Passage to Read:
The length of our days is seventy years--
or eighty, if we have the strength;
yet their span is but trouble and sorrow,
for they quickly pass, and we fly away.
Psalm 90:10
Guided Prayer (Donna Partow):
Dear Lord, thank you for reminding me that my time on earth is limited. It is very likely that I'll live seventy or eighty years. And many people today are living into their nineties and even to one hundred and beyond. Help me to live each day with a healthy awareness of both the potential longevity and brevity of life. I know that I'll have to deal with my share of trouble and sorrow. That's unavoidable. But, Holy Spirit, I know you can give me the power to handle those things with grace and gratitude. I know my life will quickly pass and I'll fly away home. I look forward to that day when I finally see you face-to-face. Meanwhile, help me to make the most of the days I have here on earth. Amen.
Personal:
In today's lesson Donna starts out by comparing two individuals. One who overindulges in many areas: food, not exercising, etc. and has had many health problems but who refused to change because she "wanted to enjoy life". The other was a man who had once been like the woman but after his wife's death decided to turn things around and in his seventies is healthier than he was at age 17. The man is "convinced that life cand and should be a great adventure--if you're in good enough condition to enjoy it." Donna next lists some of the things that Sally Beare identified as secrets of the world's longest living people after studying various communities known for long, vibrant lives and published these finding in her book 50 Secrets to the World's Longest Living People. Here is Donna's list:
  • Eat smaller portions.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Exercise.
  • Get adequate sunshine.
  • Have faith.
  • Laugh.
  • Help others.
  • Enjoy a happy marriage.
  • Have a pet.
  • Maintain good friendships.
  • Get the correct amount of sleep (neither too much nor too little).
  • Supplement your diet with vitamins.
  • Eat at least five servings of fruit and veggies daily.
  • Eat the following foods that mny long-living people include in their diets: whole grains, brown rice, sprouted wheat bread, eggs, nuts, seeds, garlic, onion, extra-virgin olive oil, sweet potatoes, berries, and yogurt.
  • Eat meat as a treat, not a mainstay.
  • Have a salad every day.
  • Drink red wine and green tea.

The ones of these that I do not follow is according to this list I eat to much meat and I do not drink red wine or any other alcoholic beverage because of my alcoholism (I'm in recovery and I want to stay that way). According to Donna genetics does not have much impact on our ability to live a long, healthy, happy life. She believes that lifestyle choices hold the key. I'm not certain I agree totally with her. I do agree with her that we can do everything within our power to lead along fruitful life. I come from a long line of long-lived individuals. Many of them lived long lives at a time when people did not life long lives. I also have several who lived long lives in spite of lifestyle choices that could shorten a person's life. I do agree with Donna that people do not leave the active lives that our ancestors did but we can remain active in other ways. I also think attitude has a great deal to do with whether we are happy or not.

Affirmation: I enjoy long life.

Practical:

Incorporate into your lifestyle as many of the items on the longevity list as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment