Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 45: Purge Personal Items

Scripture to Memorize:
She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
Proverbs 31:22-23
Passage to Read:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.
Hebrews 12:1-2
Prayer:
Heavenly Father help me throw off everything that hinders and the sin that entangles me. Thank you for the great cloud of witnesses, the earlier saints that cheer me on and encourage me to run the race set before me, my life, with perseverance. Holy Spirit help me to fix my eyes on Jesus. Lord Jesus thank you for running your race of sacrifice so faithfully in spite of the agony and suffer that race entailed. Help me today to take up my cross and follow you. Help me to do the Father's will. Amen.
Personal:
Today Donna instructs us to throw off everything that hinders us from becoming the women God has called us to be. The first place she has us now purge is our make-up, hair care products, and skin care products. Her instructs are that if it is was bought more than a year ago, you don't use it, if it does not look sensational on you then throw it away. If it is 90% gone throw it away. If it was a "gift with purchase" but you don't use it throw it away. She also ask us just how many make-up bags do we need. Once we have purged and placed what is left of our make-up in a bag get rid of all excess bags.
Next go through your accessories (purses, belts, hats, scarves, and so on). Again it you don't wear it give it away. If you haven't use it in over a year get rid of it one way or another. Play the 80/20 rule (get rid of 80% of the things you only wear/use 20% of the time). Now go through your jewelry and again if you don't wear it get rid of it no matter what the sentimental value. If you just can't part with it put it in a plastic bin labeled Nostalgia.
She then tells us to carefully consider our future purchases and think about spending more for fewer but better quality items. We might also want to consider giving away 80 percent of your jewelry you almost never wear. Also she tells us to get rid of items that only go with one outfit, and she reminds it that we can most likely find something else that will work almost as well as the current item but goes with severa outfits. Donna reminds us that perfection is the enemy of peace. "Less if more" she said.
Affirmation: I am clothed in fine linen and purple.
Practical:
Donna suggests that we might want to consider organizing an accessory exchange like the clothing exchange. She said it was easier and as much fun as the clothing exchanges she has done.
I purge my makeup bin yearly. I also purge my manicure bin. However, I have not recently done a purge of my jewelry. I do store all of my jewelry, what I wear regularly and the items I wear less regularly in bins. Yes I have a lot of plastic bins of all sizes. They are very handy storage and since most of mine are clear or semi-clear plastic it is easy to see what is stored in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment