Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 59: Get Equipped for a Clean House

Scripture to Memorize:
She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Proverbs 31:26-27
Passage to Read:
Where no oxen are, the manger is clean,
But much revenue comes by the strength of the ox.
Proverbs 14:4 NASB
Prayer:
Dear Lord,
I may consider my household challenging and at times wish there was no one here to mess up what I just cleaned up. However, I realize that there was a time when I lived with no one else and how miserable that was. Therefore, help me realize with my husband and my two little dogs comes messes. Because they are in my live my life is richer and more worth living. Forgive me for the times I complain about the mess. Help me to realize that the mess is proof of the many blessings in my live. Holy Spirit bring me your loving correction when I lose my perspective. Remind me that a lived-in home, is a loved-in home and this is what just a home looks like. It should at times have messes. Grant me the wisdom to manage all that goes on within my home and grant me your grace to make it. In Jesus name Amen.
Practical:
Today Donna talks about cleaning our homes but first she makes some suggestions for making our home healthier. Begin by gathering up al your cleaning supplies and she suggests you get rid of any cleaners that contain bleach, ammonia, or any aerosol propelants. Use nature-based, nontoxic alternatives. She stated that it is especially important if you have children in the home "because accidental poisoning in the home is the second leading cause of death in children under the age of five". She also recommends that you leave you windows cracked year round to let in fresh air. Whenever possible air out your house by opening all windows and doors.
Now to prepare to clean your house (since you have gotten rid of old cleaning products and are using safer nontoxic on) purchase three cleaning caddies and put everything you need to clean the three types of areas in the caddies. Here is how Donna recommends you stock your caddies:
General Purpose: living room, dining room, and bedroom
  • furniture polish
  • glass cleaner
  • rags
  • paper towels

Bathroom

  • glass cleaner
  • tub and tile cleaner
  • toilet cleaner
  • paper towels
  • gloves
  • scrub brush

Kitchen

  • glass cleaner
  • appliance cleaner
  • furniture polish if you have wooden cabinets
  • rags
  • paper towels

Then store each cleaning caddy where it will be used the most.

Donna then says "Tomorrow you'll discover a very good reason for having more than one cleaning caddy. (Hint: it's because you should have more than one cleaning person!)"

Affirmation: I maintain a safe, healthy home environment

Practical:

One other thing Donna recommends is replacing carpeting with wood floors which is something I would love to do but can't at this time. I also do the cleaning caddies a little different I have a general purpose on with items she listed which is stored in the laundry area (which is in the hallway). I have one under the kitchen cabinets with contains the items she lists. But for bathrooms I have one with items she lists in each bathroom. I am gradually replacing my cleaners with the nature-based, nontoxic, earth friendly producs when I have to purchase new supplies. I don't have small children in my home but I do have allergy problems and I have found that these cleaners are less apt to aggravate my allergies. Also keeping cluter to a minimum helps eliminate dust which also aggravates most allergies. Another suggestion that we already do is mark the first day of every month with the task of changing air filters on heating/cooling system. Plus also cleaning or replacing the one is our air filter in the living room and bedroom where we sleep. My allergies have made us do a lot of these things already.

No comments:

Post a Comment