Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 22: Walk to Boost Energy

Scipture to Memorize:
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously;
her ars are strong for her tasks.
Proverbs 31:16-17
Passage to Read
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?
Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games
goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we
do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man
running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body
and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not
disqualified for the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, forgive me for the times that I have not run the race to get the
prize but sat idly by and failed to put forth the effort you have asked me too. Forgive me for
not putting for the effort to do the strict training needed to run the race you have laid before
me. Forgive me for seeking the crown that will not last by seeking what the world desires.
Thank you for promising me a crown that will last forever. Holy Spirit give me the will to run the race with purpose, to win the crown that is promised to me by God. Lord, help me to control my body and make it my slave so that I will not be disqualified for the prize.
Lord, help to run the race that is pleasing to you. Thank your for promising to help me reach the finish line if i fix my eyes on you. I am fixing my eyes on you Lord. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.
Personal:
Donna suggests that instead of downing cups of coffee in the morning to get us going to go for a walk. She lists all of the research statistics of the benefits of walking, as well as the fact that it is more beneficial than running. She further suggests that the greatest benefit of walking is not physical but spiritual because you can pray and meditate as you are walking. Also by swinging your arms as you walk you can strengthen them and burn more calories.
Donna also suggests that you walk with a buddy instead of alone because there are advantages of walking together. One of the things I have read is walking missionary work. This is where two or three people take their walks in an area and spend time to invite people along their route to church or Bible study or some special church activity. Besides having a walking buddy forces you to get up and get going. You can keep one another motivated to you walks. It is recommended that you walk at least three days a week. Donna further suggests that you and your walking partner not use this as a time to gossip or complain but that you use it as a prayer time. If you can't find a partner, Donna suggests asking the Holy Spirit to stand in the gap until you can find one. Pray for a walking partner.
Affirmation: I walk because I am in strict training.
Practical:
I have not yet attempted to find a walking partner but I have started this week to walk a little more each day. I have commited to get up earlier and go for a brief walk some where on my way to work. If I add 15 minutes each week then in two weeks I will be walking 30 minutes three days a week. Then three days a week I can ride the recumbent bike at the gym beginning with 15 minutes and building. If I find that this is too much I can do 10 minutes and build to 30 over three weeks. This is about getting back up to my former ability prior to knee and hip replacement and not about setting any records.

No comments:

Post a Comment