Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 30: Apply the 80/20 Rule

Scripture to Memorize:
She sees that her trading profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindles in her fingers.
Proverbs 31:18-19
Passage to Read:
A discerning man keeps wisdom in view,
but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.
Proverbs 17:24
Prayer:
Dear Lord, help me to become more discerning. I want to live each day with wisdom in view. However, I admit that much of the time I let my heart and mind wander to things that do not matter. I forget what is important and I become embroiled in things of the world. I let the deceiver gain a toehold with his lies. Holy Spirit, give me the power to keep my eyes focused on Jesus. Help to be more discerning. Keep my heart and mind from becoming distract so that the deceiver can not seduce me with his lies. I trust in you Holy Teacher to draw me back to the path of wisdom. In Jesus name, Amen.
Personal:
Today Donna gives us another of what she calls a "modern-day version of the distaff and spindle: the 80/20 rule". Donna tells us that this rule comes from the work of an Italian economist and is also known as the Pareto Principle. According to Donna the rule in practical applications states that "20 percent of the salespeople produce 80 percent of the sales results;20 percent of customers generate 80 percent of business income; 20 percent of any given congregation do 80 percent of the work in the church; you call 20 percent of your friends 80 percent of the time; you watch 20 percent of you television channels 80 percent of the time. . . " She goes on to give more examples but I think by now you have the concept.
Donna say that we need to put this rule to work for us by focusing on the 20 percent of activities that will yield 80 percent return and not waste our time on the 80 percent of activities that will only produce an additional 20 percent return. The real basic truth of this rule is to not strive for perfection. Then she tells us to review our Daily Page every day and put an asterisk next to the two items on your Tackle List that will yield the 80 percent return on your time investment. These are the items that you do first. Then even if you do not accomplish any of the other things on your list you will probably have achieved 80 percent effectiveness. "Do not allow yourself to work on anything other than the items with an asterisk until you have completed those two," Donna warns. She then give the following additional ways to apply the 80/20 rule:
"Make list of ten friends. Put a star next to the two most important ones and devote your attention to them. Be nice to everyone, of course, but focus your energies on the two you have identified.
Make a list of your ten favorite hobbies/free-time activities. Put a star next to the two you enjoy most. Invest in them.
You spend 80 percent of your waking hours in 20 percent of your house (probably your kitchen and family room). Focus on making them fabulous and you'll be much happier at home."
She then goes on to say "put the 80/20 rule to good use and let it simplify your life."
Affirmation: I use the 80/20 rule to help me simplify and prioritize my life.
Practical:
I did not realize it but I am already using the 80/20 rule in most instances. At work it is just how my schedule worked out and at home it came as the result of needing to refocus priorities when I returned to school. Plus since Bo does not work he does a number of the things that I would left trying to squeeze in. I found it rather interesting that I had been applying this rule without even realizing it was a rule or principle. Another instance of God providing what I needed without me even realizing he had been doing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment